Monday, March 16, 2015

Finding the Right Prosthetist

My first prosthetist was one of convenience.  I didn't get to choose on my own.  The surgeon who did my amputation referred me to them because they had an office in the same building he was in.  I was assigned to Paul.  He was nice, polite and did a good job of getting all of the settings right on my very first prosthesis.  Within just a few weeks I was able to walk without the use of a can or crutches and didn't have a limp at all.  The first year I went through several sockets because the residual limb (formerly referred to as the "stump") was shrinking so quickly, which was normal.  But as soon as I got too small for the current socket, Paul would be on top of it and get a new one made.  I spent a lot of time there the first couple of years.  Although I was happy with the components and function, the finished product just didn't look how I wanted it to.  It was important to me that it look as real as possible.  I'm not sure why, maybe just because I'm a woman.  Eventually, Paul left to work for another company and I was transferred to Jamie's care.  Like Paul, Jamie was very nice and pleasant but he didn't seem to understand the importance of how it looked.  He didn't "get it". 
It started being a problem getting in to see him.  I had all of my appointments at the office in my city, a "satellite office". They were only there 1 day a week and at the home office the rest of the time, and that was over an hour away from me.  It got to the point where I would call with a problem and need to be seen but they might not be able to get me in for almost 2 weeks.  When you're having mobility issues, 2 weeks can seem like an eternity.  I realized that I was spending a lot of time just waiting for appointments.  Time that I couldn't do much because I was in need of an adjustment.  I had also become frustrated that neither Paul or Jamie understood how important it was to me that my prosthesis look as real as possible.  I didn't like the metal exposed.  I didn't like the stares and whispers.  I wanted a leg that looked real and one I could wear normal, stylish shoes with, not have to wear something that looked like I got it out of my grandmother's closet.
Another amputee I had met told me about Hanger prosthetics and suggested they might do a better job of seeing me when I needed to be seen, not just when it was convenient for them.  So I called Hanger and set up my first appointment.
From the minute I met Scott, my new prosthetist, I knew I had made the right move and wished I had known about this place sooner.  Scott was also an amputee, a little younger than me, and seemed to really understand that it was important to me that the leg look as real as possible.  It was like he understood what I was feeling about things without me having to find the proper words.  Within weeks he had me in a new, updated system.  The first time you get a new system, you're on a "check socket".  That's just attached to the leg temporarily so you can wear it for a couple of days and make sure the casting was accurate.  The process of getting all of the foot angles correct was very tedious.  Walk up the hall; walk down the hall.  Scott would lay on the floor to watch the gait and know which angle needed to be adjusted for proper gait.  He is always available if I have problems and I can usually get in to see him within a day or 2 of calling with a concern.  He makes it his business to learn about me, not just as an amputee but also as a person.  He cares about what I expect and what I wand and I can count on him to tell me if my wants and wishes are possible or not.  The biggest connection for me is the fact that he is an amputee himself and a few times he told me he could tell what the problem was just by the look on my face.  He studied my residual limb and could always tell immediately if there was a change or problem with it.  Finally!  I had met my perfect match in the world of prosthetics!  I didn't realize what was missing with the first 2 guys until I became a patient of Scott's. He had gotten me into a great system with a great fit and it was something I was pleased with how it looked. I could even wear flip flops in the summer. It was everything I wanted and expected it to be.  I realized one day that the process of finding the right prosthetist was similar to finding the right husband.  You really do have to be able to communicate and connect with your provider.  You should feel comfortable with them and know they can relate to you on a different level. It surprises me sometimes when amputees ask me questions or tell me about problems that their prosthetist should be dealing with.  I encourage people now that if they're not happy with their prosthetist it's ok to try someone new. This is the person who literally holds your independence in their hands and you want someone who gets that and is worthy. Walk on!

1 comment:

  1. Great article Carolyn! Great suggestions for amputees as well as patients in general.

    ReplyDelete